Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Say no to recycling? now what am I suppose to bitch about?

Well I am the biggest activist for recycling so this is kind of a slap in the face - but it also makes me look at the whole "who's responsible for our current environmental condition" in a slightly different light. So here's treehugger's take on the situation: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/10/graph-of-the-day-recycling-bull.php Of course I'm torn between the whole thing - since it is demand that fuels production and consumption.. but then again companies are always finding new ways to make people feel like the need to consume.. commercials, subway ads, ads are all over the place, so really who is to blame? And this gets back to the April Gulf oil spill... back when it first happened and everyone was debating over who should have to pay for it.. I said it should be spread out among the company and those who fueled the exploitation of the natural resource, i.e. the consumers. Some people actually agreed with this wild view, most, especially my parents, told me I was crazy and they shouldn't have to pay for a company's greed. This is of course totally true. The company was yes: meeting demands and meeting those demands were fueled by greed... BUT really if the company wanted to make a killing they'd limit the amount they were pumping out of the ocean and fake scarcity. Also it is up the consumer to make the responsible decision when purchasing.. but then this also assumes that the neoclassical market keeps everyone equally and completely informed, which of course is bullshit. So really I have no idea how I feel and that's always great.

No comments:

Post a Comment